Dior & More: For the Love of Fashion

I live in Cleveland (we're not Detroit! (for the record, this video was made before LeBron left and Cleveland started getting nicer).  We actually have a pretty nice museum district in University Circle, one of which is the Western Reserve Historical Society.

one of their buildings, a mansion they give tours of/that I want because it's gorgeous (especially in pictures taken in not-February
They have like four or five buildings they've managed to squish together - the cognitive dissonance of the different architecture styles is probably the one thing I can complain about them for, because otherwise, they're pretty nice, and they win a lot of bonus points for having a gallery filled with designer dresses.  Which is obviously why I'm writing this post, isn't it?  ;)  I think after my post about Dreaming of Dior and Dreaming of Chanel, we know how I feel about vintage designer dresses.  Seriously, though, I went there mainly to see that, although I'll have to return for their library.


The exhibit showcases vintage clothing from different eras, donated to WRHS by various figures - diplomats' wives, Cleveland socialites of days past, and even Audrey Hepburn.

Probably my favorite part of the exhibit, however, were the videos shown along with it on displays in the gallery:


The second video, for some reason, will not embed, but no matter, it's here, and interesting if you've never heard of Lesage.

The exhibit itself is really lovely.  All the dresses are enclosed in a giant glass box in the center of the gallery so that visitors walk around, and there are little informational stands about each saying who wore it, who made it, roughly when, and interesting little personal tidbits that may have been passed along with the dress, as well as discussing some of the technique put into the dress.  I loved reading those - I spent about three hours in WRHS, and two of those were spent in this gallery, so...


Audrey Hepburn dress! 







I would love to find dresses as amazing as all the ones in this exhibit, but just looking at them is at least a treat.  And it's open till March 30, 2014, so I'll probably go back there again to drool admire them more before then.  Probably multiple times.

Have you been to any cool museum exhibits lately?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, so great to hear from you! I can completely understand how hectics can get, hope you're doing great and have been enjoying a lovely summer. This exhibition is amazing, wow, i would love to see it in person, the dresses are so beautiful and ladylike, and just depict another time and lifestyle all together. How feminine woman used to dress back then, I wonder if they even owned as many jeans as we do now, if any? Thanks for your lovely words on my last post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to visit this exhibit! I'm always interested in how couture gets made---all those beads and details, etc. My personal fave museum is the Hirshhorn in D.C., because I'm a sucker for subversive modern art.

    Brittney

    anotherbeautifulthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful dresses! Would you like to follow each other on Facebook, Bloglovin', GFC, and/or Instagram. Please let me know if you're interested.

    Louisa Moje
    http://lapassionvoutee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

HI! Please read this before you comment!

I love to hear from my readers and those new to my blog (feel free to url-drop if you need to)! Interacting with people can be so inspiring. PLEASE DON'T leave me just "FOLLOW MY BLOG" messages that you copypasta on dozens of blogs - I follow blogs when I feel inspired by their content, and I try to show it by actively commenting on the content they've generated. I will delete these responses, because they make me extremely uncomfortable. (Yes, I'm aware that's pretty odd... I'm sorry).

That said, I hope you have a lovely day!
xo
Sue